Common Fire Code Violations
- Blocked Exit Doors - all exit doors must be kept clear at all times.
- Electrical Panel Box Clearance - there should be at least a 36 inch clearance around the panel.
- Emergency Lights not Working - necessary to provide light to occupants in the case of an emergency.
- Exit Signs not Working - must be lit at all times.
- Extension Cords - permitted only for use as a temporary power source; prohibited on a permanent basis.
- Fire Alarm - system must undergo an annual inspection; a written copy of the test report must be submitted to the Fire Marshal's Office.
- Fire Extinguisher Maintenance - must be maintained and tested annually; testing company will place a dated tag on each extinguisher.
- General House Cleaning - do not allow an accumulation of combustible items.
- Space Heaters - are permitted, but must have a clearance space around them; do not place any combustible items near the heater; must be plugged into a fixed outlet; do not use with an extension cord.
- Sprinkler Systems - must be serviced and tested annually; a written copy of the test report must be submitted to the Fire Marshal's Office.
A Request for Time Extension Application may be submitted when additional time is need in order to abate noted violations; to contest, an appeal (PDF) must be filed within 15 days.