The Office of Vital Statistics provides for the following:
- Applications for Marriage/Civil Union Licenses
- Affidavits for Civil Unions
- Certified Copies of Vital Records -Birth, Marriage, Domestic Partnership, Civil Unions & Death Certificates. (Important - Please note: Certified Copies of Vital Records are only available for those events that occurred in Cherry Hill Township)
All Applications/Affidavits are made by appointment, please contact the Clerk's Office by calling 856-488-7892.
Obtaining a License or Applying for a Marriage License
To apply, print and complete the Marriage Application Form.
Marriage License Requirements
Couples must bring with them the following:
- A witness over the age of 18
- Proof of identity by presenting your valid driver’s license, passport, or state/federal ID
- Proof of residency - a valid driver’s license with a Cherry Hill address or two (2) alternate forms of ID showing Cherry Hill address:
Vehicle registration card
Vehicle insurance card
Voter registration card
Utility bill or bank statement (within last 90 days)
W-2 for current or previous tax year
The following information is also needed to complete the application process:
- Social Security Numbers
- Names of both sets of parents and the state or country of their birth
- Maiden name of both mothers
- Name and address of person performing the ceremony and the township where the marriage/civil union is taking place.
- If there was a previous marriage/civil union, date and name of court where divorced was filed
Scheduling an Appointment
Marriage License Applications/Domestic Partnership Certificates are by APPOINTMENT ONLY (9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday). To schedule an appointment, please call the Clerk’s Office at 856-488-7892.
Marriage applications can be taken in the following places:
- The Township where Applicant A resides, or
- If Applicant A is from out-of-state, the Township where the Applicant B resides, or
- If both Applicant A/Applicant B are from out-of-state, the Township where the marriage is going to be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in that Township.
Domestic Partnership Certificates
Couples wishing to register a Domestic Partnership must be both 62 years of age or older and share a common residence in New Jersey.
Requirements for obtaining a Domestic Partnership Certificate in the Township of Cherry Hill are as follows:
- Applicants do not need to apply in the town in which they live
- Cash, check or money order in the amount of $28
- Applicants must execute an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership in the presence of a Notary Public
- File the notarized Affidavit of Domestic Partnership form with the Local Registrar of Vital Statistics in any municipality in New Jersey to obtain a Certificate of Domestic Partnership.
Applicants must bring with them the following:
- Current driver’s license or photo ID with current address
- Provide proof of joint financial responsibility as evidenced by one of the following:
- Joint deed, mortgage agreement or lease
- Joint bank account
- Designation of one of the persons as primary beneficiary on the other person’s will
- Designation of one of the persons as primary beneficiary in the other person’s life insurance policy or retirement plan; or
- Joint ownership of a motor vehicle
Important Time Lines
Marriage Licenses applications must be completed a minimum of 72 hours prior to issuance of the Marriage License. However, it is recommended that you apply a minimum of 5 days prior to the date of marriage.
Obtaining a Certified Copy of the License
Once you are legally married, you can obtain a certified copy of your license in the municipality where the ceremony occurred. You should take special note that the copy you are given by the official that joins you is not an official or legal document. You must obtain an official copy from the Registrar of the municipality where the ceremony took place.
Please note that a Certified Copy of a vital record is issued to those individuals who have a direct link to the individual named on the vital record (as identified in Governor McGreevey's Executive Order 18). The requestor must be able to identify the vital record and provide proof of identity and relationship.
Raised Seal Certified Copy
If the ceremony took place in Cherry Hill Township and you would like to obtain a Raised Seal Certified Copy of your license, complete and submit the Vital Statistic Information Request Form (PDF).
To view common questions and answers, click here to view the PDF.